7DRL 2021 Begins

The annual Seven Day Rougelike (7DRL) tournament has begun. I have been out of the game for a few years. However I recently decided to learn python programming. What better way to get some hands on practice than to code up a roguelike game?

I confess I did not know how to do graphics in python. No problem though. There is a pygame module with a simple API that I can make use of. So now I have a 2D maze in a python structure (a list of lists). And I can draw that maze onto the screen. The maze is not impressive. It is just an outline of a rectangular big room. Baby steps.

I also have drawn the player character in the center of the screen. Pygame let's you accept and process keyboard inputs. So I have coded handling of the arrow keys. The player can now move around the screen. The player can also walk through walls currently. So that might be the next thing I code in there. Might also revisit the screen colors. That should be easy.

No comments: