7DRL Day 3 - Monsters

Today I implemented monsters in my dungeon. They are all nameless. Their symbology is a red "p". I gave them each hit points. For battle purposes, I also gave the player hit points as well. The player's hit points are now displayed on the bottom of the screen next to the gold amount.

The monster do try to move towards the player. Based on the nature of the dungeon walls, the monsters do not move smartly. Therefore they can get lodged in assorted walls. I need the monsters to get a little smarter. They should detect that they are stuck, and choose another path to get to the player.

Battle is currently working. Monsters and the player do a set number of hit points damage per attack. Both always score a hit. There is detection for when a monster dies. Upon death they disappear from the screen. I have not implemented death for the player character yet. I probably will tomorrow.

I did fix some prior bugs in the game. Now gold will not be placed on top of a wall. Also the player can collect gold and move onto the space previously occupied by the hold in a single turn. I also made sure that monsters cannot be initially placed on top of a wall. The game is progressing slowly. But I am pleased with the overall progress.

No comments: