7DRL Day 4 - Mechanics

I did not make many visual changes to the game today. Moved the gold and hit points stats to the right of the maze. This is to make room for a scrolling message area below the maze. My goal this time around was to concentrate on making the game challenging through a sense of balance.

I decided to bump up the number of monsters in the maze. I made sure when choosing an initial position, that I did not choose a space on a wall. I also ensured I did not put a monster on top of another monster. Had to update the monster movement routine to also make sure the monsters did not step on top of each other.

I implemented regeneration of player hit points per turn. Tomorrow I shall try to add more smarts to the monster movement. They get stuck way too often in the maze. Monsters don't need supreme intelligence. But they need to know how to get out of a bind and attack the player.

No comments: