HyperRogue Review

I took a quick look at HyperRogue II. This had the most unusual geometry for the "dungeon". The thing felt as if you were on a sphere in 3D. I don't think it was quite a sphere since a full rotation did not seem to get me back to where I started.

The battle system was a bit weird. The game did not let me make a move that would put me in harm's way. I guess that means you can't die in this game. I did not play the game long enough to find out for sure.

I was able to cross into some different lands. You could tell from the way the 3D mage was drawn that you were crossing over. I wonder how the developer implemented this 3D world. Looked pretty cool.

2 comments:

Zeno Rogue said...

Thanks for a review!

As the name suggests, this is hyperbolic geometry, and the world is not a sphere, but rather a hyperboloid. I have added an article on my blog which explains this in more detail.

Legend of Angband said...

Aha. I am not familiar with a hyperboloid. I will have to check out your blog and read up on it. Very impressive graphics you got I must say.